I know it has been FOREVER since I last blogged, but I did say when I started that this was a real-life blog and things have just gotten in the way of me updating this. I have still been making dinners at home, but nothing too exciting until last night. Which is why I am back. Last night's dinner was Broccoli & Cauliflower Mac & Cheese and a salad. Too me, this dish would be a perfect way to get kids to eat their veggies. :)
Here is the recipe for Broccoli & Cauliflower Macaroni & Cheese:
11 oz chopped broccoli
11 oz chopped cauliflower
1/4 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 box macaroni noodles
1 c. chicken broth
2 c. skim milk
1 3/4 c. shredded cheese (I used a cheddar & colby jack mix)
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp nutmeg
fresh ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 and spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
1. In a large stock pot, add olive oil, onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft (about 5 mins)
2. While onion mixture is cooking, heat water in a LARGE pot to boil. When boiling add macaroni, chopped broccoli and chopped cauliflower and cook for 6 mins. Then drain.
3. When onion is soft add cayenne pepper, salt, oregano and nutmeg and whisk together, let cook for 1 min. Whisk in flour. Then add milk and chicken stock and whisk together constantly until a gentle simmer begins. Once it begins simmering, add cheese and whisk together constantly for 1 min.
4. Add macaroni mixture to milk mixture and stir until all coated. Then pour into 9x13 pan. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of macaroni mixture and then sprinkle black pepper on top. (I personally have a pepper mill and did a few turns of that over the top).
5. Bake for 25 mins. Then let rest for 5-10 mins before serving.