Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Taste of Fall: Applesauce

Every year for the last seven years I have gone apple picking.  It started as a tradition with my sister-in-law when she was a junior in high school.  Once she moved away for college, my friend Erin started going apple picking with me.  Erin and I have gone every year since.  It is one of my favorite fall traditions.  I hope that I am able to continue apple picking in the fall as life moves forward.

We always pick a peck of apples.  According to Wikipedia, a peck is equal to two dry gallons or a quarter of a bushel.  I must admit, this makes no sense to me.  Why doesn't a peck equal a specific mass?  Maybe that is just the metric-system lover in me.  Anyway, here is what two one-peck bags of apples looks like:

Erin and I decided this year that we were going to be smart and only pick Cortland apples.  Cortlands are red apples which are tart and crisp and perfect for baking.  Since we only really use the apples for baking, we felt only picking the baking ones would be the best use of our pecks.  I definitely picked enough apples to last me through the next week or two of baking. 

This morning, I asked TS what I should make with the apples.  He asked me how hard it would be to make applesauce.  I told him, probably not difficult at all, if I used my Crock Pot.  I was definitely correct that it would not be difficult.  This could not have been an easier food to make.  Because it is so easy, I may never buy applesauce again.  TS even said it smelled so good that he "wanted to eat the house." 

Here is your super easy Crock Pot applesauce recipe:



Makes 3 small jars.
INGREDIENTS

5 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into quarters
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1/4 c. water

RECIPE

1. Place peeled, cored and quartered apples into the Crock Pot.
2. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar over all the apples so all apples are evenly covered with sugar and cinnamon.
3. Pour vanilla over all the apples.
4. Pour water into the Crock Pot.
5. Cook apples for 4-5 hours on low.
6. When apples can be mashed with a fork, they are done.  Mash the apples until desired consistency.
7. Place in a separate container (I used jars) and set to cool. 

See?  How easy is that?!  Enjoy your taste of fall with this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. The first time I made applesauce (on the stove) it was part if a recipe for an apple spice cake... I remember thinking "Thats ALL there is to it? Why have I been buying it out of a jar my entire life?" Thanks for the crock pot recipe!

    ReplyDelete