Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Real Life

In real life, people don't have time to blog every day. I lead a real life. I make dinner for friends, spend time with them, then don't have enough time to blog at night. I love making dinner for friends. I do have a policy (which no one actually takes me up on) that if you call me in the morning and tell me you want to come over for dinner, and if I am not doing anything at night, I will make dinner for you. I love cooking for other people.

On Monday night, I was really happy when I got home and TS said Dan was coming over for dinner. It was a relief! I was planning on making meatloaf and I knew I would have more leftovers than I know what to do with if Dan did not come over. Now I just have a little bit of leftover meatloaf. I think this was the first meatloaf I made in years. I actually think the last time I made a meatloaf I lived in an apartment. The recipe I took from Alton Brown, and then did it my way, kind of. It was more, I couldn't find the two types of meat, so I used ground beef and ground pork sausage. Otherwise, I made the recipe found here. Remember, I used GROUND BEEF and GROUND PORK SAUSAGE. Dan and TS both loved the meatloaf. Both went back for seconds. I served it with homemade mashed potatoes and carrots. It was truly an American meal. I even think Dan had a coca-cola with it. All American meal with some all American Vikings v Packers football.

Tuesday night, I had planned for our friends Claire and Andrew to come over for dinner. The last time they came over and I made dinner I made potato tacos (they were amazing), but they were SOOO spicy Andrew was literally sweating and saying "they are so good, I can't stop eating them, but they are SO spicy." It was hilarious. They were troopers and plowed through a new recipe with me. So, last night, they enjoyed another new recipe. This recipe I followed exactly and it makes a lot of food. We enjoyed Shepherd's-Style Rigatoni. Not spicy, like the potato taco's, but it was flavorful. I served it with steamed asparagus. We finished off the meal with an Apple Galette with cinnamon ice cream.

As you can see, when I do not make recipes on my own, I turn to the internet. My favorite sites for recipes are www.foodnetwork.com and www.saveur.com. I actually don't watch the food network. I would rather read a cookbook. But I do enjoy the recipes on the website. Saveur is a magazine which I get every month. Their recipes are usually not for the beginning cook, normally. The recipes are ethnically based and use ingredients which are local to the specific culture. I love challenging recipes, when I have time to cook. See, when you tell me you are coming over for dinner, you will get a good meal.

I love cooking for people and eating with people who enjoy good food. Here's to good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment