Monday, November 7, 2011

Back Again

I'm back in the City again after going to my friend Sarah's wedding. She looked so beautiful! All brides look beautiful, but she looked exceptionally beautiful. Congrats Sarah and Ross. I am so happy for you.

Now that I have told you about my weekend, I am back to cooking. Tonight I had some time to actually make a new type of chili. The good thing about chili is you get it all in the pot then you let it cook without doing anything for an hour. That is an hour you can do whatever you want with. Tonight's chili was Chorizo Chipotle Chili.

Chorizo Chipotle Chili

6.5oz Chorizo links, sliced thin
1 lb ground beef
3/4 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (chop 4-6 chilies from can depending on how spicy you want it)
3.5 cups beef broth
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 c. dry red wine
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp masa flour

1. In a dutch oven (large stock pot) brown chorizo sausage (cook about 3 mins), take out of pot and set aside
2. brown ground beef in dutch oven, then take out of pot and set aside
3. saute chopped garlic and onion for 3-4 mins
4. add chorizo, ground beef, chopped chipotle chili, cumin, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, coriander, oregano to garlic and onion. stir.
5. add tomato paste, red wine and beef broth to mixture. Stir for 1 min.
6. set on stove until it boils, once boils, turn down the heat and simmer for 1 hr.
7. add masa flour to mixture 1/2 tbsp at a time, then add black beans and pinto beans to mixture then simmer for 30 mins.

We served this with corn bread and shredded Mexican cheese (cheddar cheese would work too). TS says that this was "amazing." This recipe made enough chili for at least 6 servings. I have a feeling I will be making this recipe again later on this winter. Plus, I now have masa flour to make home made tortillas. I'm sure I will be trying that soon! So, here's to good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment