Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween! On Halloween for the past few years we have ordered pizza for dinner, but each year we wait at least an hour to get our pizza. I guess it is one of the most popular nights to order pizza. This year, instead of ordering I decided to make my own. I did not go the way of getting a premade crust and adding toppings. I made the dough from scratch and then added the toppings, etc.

I am giving the credit for this pizza dough recipe to a friend of mine's mom. Sarah is one of my closest friends up here. When I went to her parents' house for the first time, her mom made us pizza using this dough recipe. Me, being the baker, I asked her for the recipe and she very willingly gave it to me. It is so easy anyone can do it. So, in honor of Sarah and her wedding I am dedicating this post to you and your mom's pizza!

Homemade Pizza

Dough
2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 package yeast
1 c. warm water

Pizza
1/2 c. pasta sauce
1 1/2 c. shredded italian cheese
1/2 tbsp olive oil
toppings of your choice (we picked italian sausage, green peppers, onions and mushrooms)

Dough
1. mix warm water and yeast together
2. add flours, sugar, and olive oil to water and mix together until it forms a ball.
3. cover dough and put in warm location and let sit for 1/2 hour

Pizza
Preheat oven to 425.
1. Once dough has set, roll it out to approximate 15 in circle, and pinch edges to form a rim for the crust
2. Place dough and cookie sheet or pizza stone that has been sprayed with cooking spray
3. Spread olive oil on dough, then add pizza sauce to the top and cheese
4. Add whatever toppings you want to the pizza. (If you use meat on your pizza, make sure to cook the meat ahead of time)
5. Bake for 15 - 20 mins, or until crust is a golden brown.
6. Let sit for 5 mins, and slice as you desire.

I guess this pizza was so good, that TS asked me if it was actually cheaper to buy the ingredients for the pizza and make it ourselves than to order it. I told him it probably was, but making pizza is time consuming (actually it only took me an hour - including the time that it had to rest for 30 mins, and baking for 15) whereas ordering it is easy. However, on nights like Halloween when it would take you an hour to get a pizza delivered, making it is just as good. We will definitely make this again as the winter goes on.

Enjoy your pizza! Here's too good eating, and a Happy Halloween.

2 comments:

  1. that's my dough, too, except I use some honey instead of sugar, and I like to put dried spice, especially some garlic powder and basil and/or oregano in. Oh, rosemary is good, too.

    ReplyDelete