Friday, October 14, 2011

Chicago Style Food, but not in Chicago

Tonight, I thought I was "bach-ing it up" (as one of our admins said). I was supposed to be on my own and honestly looking forward to leftover pizza and wine. I will now admit that I do love leftovers and I have no shame in telling my readers that I am a real person who eats leftover pizza. But instead, I come home to find out that the spouse will be joining me for dinner. However, the dishwasher had to be run and would not fit another dirty dish and I was not in the mood to cook. Since he put the damper in my plans of sitting on the sofa and eating leftovers (yes, I was not even going to eat at the table), I made him choose where we were going to eat. He picked Chris and Rob's (www.chrisandrobs.com).

I had heard a lot about this Chicago-style eating establishment from the spouse after he was introduced to it by his boss. Picture a menu of Italian beef sandwiches, Chicago-style hot dogs and pizzas. Now, I actually hate hot dogs, so I was very skeptical if I would even enjoy this place. But, I will try anything once (after all Andrew Zimmern has my dream job). This joint is basic, basic, basic with rolls of paper towels on the tables and your food served in baskets, but with awesome food. I thought with the rolls of paper towels the food would be super greasy. However, it wasn't dripping-with-grease greasy, like college pizza greasy, but just the natural grease which comes off of a sandwich which consisted of Italian beef cooked in its own juices, spicy peppers and mozzarella cheese melted to perfection. If you go to Chris and Rob's, you will be looked down upon if you order your Italian beef sandwich with anything but hot peppers and mozzarella. Cheddar cheese and mild peppers are for wimps. We ordered our sandwiches with a side of fries and enjoyed the delight of eating such flavorful food. I must say, the fries were not greasy, as fries can be. Which is a sign of a good fryer. If you know anything about fried foods, left over oil is from an improper temperature. (Or that is what I have been told). After the sandwich and fries, I left feeling very full and happy. I did also get to eat with the spouse and hear about his day. He always has great stories, like the current downfall of the Boston Red Sox (which we are LOVING)!

So, while I did not enjoy leftover pizza on the sofa. I did enjoy an Italian beef sandwich, fries and a diet coke from Chris and Rob's. We will be going back again. Definitely.

Until I cook again, here's to good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment