Tuesday, October 11, 2011

First Night was a Dud

My intention was to try to make something for dinner most nights, but my fridge is full of leftovers from my parents and sister visiting this past weekend. Today, I got home and all I could think about was eating stuff that was already prepared and taking up space in my fridge. I bought a bag of Dole's Spring Greens (great go-to premade salad mix) and a cucumber from the grocery store to add to the quiche that was left over from the weekend.

I made a salad first using half the bag of lettuce, tomato, cucumber and shredded Parmesan cheese. I first sliced the cucumber and tomato and let it sit for a few minutes soaking up a pinch (chef's pinch) of salt, fresh cracked black pepper, a bit of garlic powder and a handful of parmesan cheese. While that sat I made a salad dressing. The salad dressing was OK. 1 tsp of olive oil, 2 tsp white wine vinegar, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey, a pinch of thyme and a pinch of salt. I then heated up some of the left over spinach quiche from Kowalski's grocery store. The quiche was decent, crust a bit to doughy for me, but the flavors would good despite that. The quiche did have the perfect amount of cheese to make it yummy. Anyway, I heated up the quiche, added lettuce to the tomato/cucumber mix and tossed the dressing in the salad.

Nothing too fancy, but it was satisfying for my mood. The spouse didn't complain, so it couldn't have been too bad.

Tomorrow night I am going to try to make a decent dinner and open a bottle of wine from Napa.

Until then, good eating!

1 comment:

  1. Your salad dressing would have been better had you substituted balsamic vinegar (the acidity still cuts the dijon mustard, but with an added richness) and left out the honey. Alternatively, use apple cider vinegar in dressing that involves honey. Once again the acidity cuts the sweetness, but the fruit essence brings out the flavor of the honey. I'll send you some recipes to try out.

    ReplyDelete