Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday Night Quick Meal

Sometimes even I surprise myself with how quickly a healthy dinner can be made. Tonight was one of those nights. I had a Junior League meeting until 745p which meant that dinner would not be started until at least 8p. TS and I are used to eating dinner around 745/8 so eating at 830 isn't that big of a deal. With a little planning, I was able to get dinner on the table in 20 mins.

Sunday night I put chicken in the fridge to thaw. I always have chicken or shrimp in my freezer for nights like tonight. Normally, I turn to shrimp but I only have enough for one portion in my freezer right now. (Guess I will be going to Sam's soon to buy shrimp). Anyway, when I ran home after work to let the dog out I took 2 chicken breasts which were thawed and set them to marinate. The beginning of Chicken & Spinach Pasta

Here is the recipe for chicken & spinach pasta:

2 chicken breasts
2 cups fresh/frozen spinach
1 1/2 c. pasta sauce
120 grams pasta
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt
olive oil
Parmesan cheese

1. Marinate 2 chicken breasts:
a. put 2 chicken breasts in a ziplock bag with 1/2 c. pasta sauce (we use Newman's All Natural Tomato & Basil), 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 3/4 tsp dried basil, 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
b. let marinate in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
2. When chicken has finished marinating, set a pot of water on to boil and drizzle olive oil in a pan and heat olive oil for 1-2 mins on medium high heat.
3. slice chicken into strips and place in pan with olive oil.
4. cook chicken on each side for 4-5 mins.
5. add pasta when water starts to boil and cook for 7-8 mins.
6. after cooking chicken, leave chicken in pan and add 2 cups fresh or frozen spinach on top of the chicken and cover the pan. Add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt to spinach. Let steam until spinach is cooked (about 3-4 mins).
7. When spinach is finished cooking add 1 cup pasta sauce to chicken and toss together.
8. serve chicken mixture over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

The whole meal takes about 20 mins, at the most. So easy, healthy and good. On a Monday night, when I don't get home until late, this is the perfect meal. No take out for us! And it makes dinner a success.

Here's to good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment