Friday, October 21, 2011

Those Darn Red Potatoes

I left work today at 530p (which by the way is late for me since I start at 7/715). I then had to come home, drop some stuff off then go out to pick up a bridesmaid dress and parts of my Halloween costume. Needless to say, when TS and I got in the car after picking up the Halloween stuff it was 630 and we had no clue what to do for dinner. We literally sat in the car for 10 mins debating if we should go out or pick something up and go home and eat. Finally, after realizing it would be 7p by the time we got anywhere and we would wait an hour to get a table, we should just go home. Since all my protein was in the freezer still we stopped at Kowalski's (our local grocery store) to pick up some type of protein.

We walked to the back counter of Kowalskis with the intention of buying fish, but for some reason we were drawn to the meatloaf. It just looked so good and so different from what we have been having recently. You will come to find out, as you read this blog more and more, we rarely eat red meat here. We eat a lot of seafood. We did take a stroll down the rest of the meat/fish counter and came back to the prepared meatloaf. The bonus: I had the red potatoes at home that I could use to supplement the meatloaf.

I put the meatloaf in the oven and opened my Joy of Cooking (aka the world's best cookbook) to potatoes and decided to make homemade mashed potatoes. I didn't really need a recipe for this, but the JoC was more for ideas with what to do with the potatoes. Here is homemade mashed potatoes:

Homemade Mashed Potatoes
6 red potatoes diced
2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
2 large pinches of salt
water
garlic olive oil
milk

1. put the potatoes, salt and garlic in a pot and cover the potatoes with water
2. boil the potatoes until they mash easily with a spoon (about 10-15 mins).
3. drain the potatoes well, then shake them in the pot to start breaking them up
4. mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher adding about 3 tsp olive oil while mashing
5. pour about 1/2 c. milk in with the potatoes (or more depending on how creamy you want them) and mash the potatoes more
6. add salt and pepper if desired

It was quite a good dinner: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, broccoli . With 2 glasses of wine and ending with chocolate-strawberry cake, I cannot complain at all. We didn't need to go out after all!

Here's to good eating at home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment