Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Typical Weekend

While Friday night I made a pretty good dinner, Saturday and Sunday night we went out. This is fairly typical. I think it is probably typical of everyone I know. The only thing I really made this weekend was I cooked some tomato-basil soup that I served with cheese-bread for lunch on Sunday.

Sunday afternoons we usually eat at home. It is also typically a fairly easy and quick meal. As it gets more and more into the winter we will turn to soup and sandwiches for lunch on Sundays. I guess we are getting into winter season seeing how I made soup today. Today, I didn't really want a true sandwich to go with the soup, so I made some cheese bread. Yes, I did get the soup premade. If I remembered the brand, I would let you know. All I know is that it comes in this tanish-colored box and it is organic and I can find it at Target. The cheese bread, I made myself. It was pretty good if I do say so, and the perfect accompaniment to the soup.

Cheese Bread

several slices of Italian bread
1/2 c. Italian shredded cheese mix
1 Tbsp hot pepper olive oil
2 tsp dried basil

1. preheat oven to 350.
2. place your Italian bread slices on a cookie sheet
3. drizzle olive oil over each of the slices (distributing the 1 Tbsp evenly among your slices of bread).
4. sprinkle cheese evenly on each slice of bread.
5. sprinkle basil on top of cheese.
6. bake for 10 mins.

At this point, I would like to talk about one of TS's and my favorite local restaurants - Lowbrow. We turn to this restaurant on nights like tonight where we have no plans for dinner and I didn't have anything in the house I wanted to cook. We don't know what Lowbrow is supposed to be, but that is just fine with us. It is a little bit of everything. A few salads, great burgers, sandwiches, a pasta option, etc. It has a great local beer selection, several decent wines and Killebrew root beer. I am not a root beer drinker, but every time we go to Lowbrow TS always will order one, so I guess it is good. It is also a super family-friendly restaurant. They provide mini Etch-A-Sketches for kids to play with while waiting for food. (I love that idea!). I have never had a bad, or even mediocre meal there. It has always been good, no matter what I order and I have tried many things.

Dinner tonight was great and just what we were in the mood for. We had hamburgers and fries. They make their own hamburger patties and serve it on a fresh bun (not one of those mass produced commercial buns that you get at most burger joints). I love that one of their cheese options for a cheeseburger is chipotle gouda. Adding this to a hamburger adds a spicy hint to the burger. I love a "spicy" cheese option that is not pepperjack. You do have the option of getting a pretty hot burger if you go with the chipotle gouda, sauteed jalapenos and spicy mayo. I have not had that burger yet, but that does not mean I will not try it in the near future. Mmm. Just thinking about this meal makes me want to go back soon.

Here's to good eating out!

No comments:

Post a Comment